Below are some more self-care resources for the holiday season. I'm praying that 2016 is a breakthrough year for all of us. May we know Him as the Healer... the Inspirer.
God has a dream for me,
And for me, for all eternity.
It is a dream of healing and call,
Of life abundant with grace.
God fashioned me as an individual
To live an authentic life in community,
A life based on love.
Events in my life,
Within and without me,
Have warred against this authentic self of love.
My shadows have engulfed my gifts,
My Spirit-fire buns low, it smolders.
I can no longer find all the pieces of the person
God created me to be.
Perhaps it is all the happy fault,
This human path, this brokenness.
For now I seek Jesus the Healer, the Inspirer.
I want new eyes that open themselves to the reality
Of all that I was created to be.
Fully human, whole, not flawless,
Helping others, and hoping with them.
I want to shine with God’s light,
Especially through my broken places.
I desire to walk with freedom in God’s spirit.
I believe that God is still creating me today,
Resurrect me, my loving God.
Make me new again,
Able to give and to share,
In the abundant kingdom of the Risen One.
— Lyn Holly Doucet
Self-Care Tips from Bloom
The wonderful folks at Bloom have many excellent resources for betrayed wives. This includes Living with a Lion, a free, downloadable ebook on the effects of betrayal on our body. The booklet includes self-care tips for managing stress such as:
- Learn about the symptoms of addiction and what you can/can’t expect
- Work with a therapist to better understand how to deal with your stress and options you have in your current situation
- Attend a 12-step group and socialize there to make connections
- Connect with a really safe and trustworthy close friend/spiritual leader/12-step member and call them regularly, especially when stress levels are high
- Love at a distance when your husband is not available or hurtful
- Set boundaries for your safety
While I, and many of the 2014/2015 survey respondents, have concerns about some 12-step groups (see Beyond Betrayal for a thorough discussion), support — both professional and lay — is definitely one of the best gifts we can give ourselves.
A New Day and a New Year
As is our habit here, we'll be praying in the New Year... from the land where New Years comes first (New Zealand). This will include prayers for your freedom and healing. You are very welcome to contact me with specific prayer requests.